Thursday, April 28, 2011

Well I guess Chappy’s happy…but Hawks should not despair

Last week I berated one Paul Chapman for boldly claiming that “never again” will the Cats lose to the Hawks in a Grand Final.

Actually, he meant never again, full stop.  And sure enough Chappy was true to his word.

I still reckon the Cats are doing it the hard way (did you see Stevie Johnson on Tuesday?), but they’re doing it nonetheless and that’s what counts.  Five-zip is enough said.

My call that the Hawks would account for the Cats comfortably was also bold and naturally, through the many phone calls, texts and emails I’ve received these past few days, I’m paying the price.

But that’s OK.  That’s footy banter and its part of what makes our game so special.

I did say that the Hawks have regained their grunt and their firepower.  Watching Tuesday’s match, I still believe that to be the case.  The MCG clash was worthy of a final and, injuries permitting, both the Hawks and the Cats should fare well come September, and maybe even October.

I also said that Buddy is back to his freakish best.  On that count I was proven right.  I just wish he’d maintain the pace which delivered his opening two goals for just one half of football.  Not even the Cats could catch us then.

Despite the loss, for Hawthorn at least, there were a number of contributors who quickly capitalised on Buddy’s five minutes of brilliance.  After a couple of seasons of under-achievement, I’d say the Hawks look like a contender in 2011.

For Geelong, that other freak up forward, Podsiadly was much the same as Buddy, barely sighted for much of the day.  But Pods kicked a couple when it counted, including that banana which sealed the deal.

For mine, Harry Taylor got the three votes with two for Lonergan, both exceptionally solid in defence.

And while Chappy looked worried at times, on the whole he was poised, helping steer the Cats to a famous victory.

So Chappy gets my one vote, not only for his play, but for making that bold claim and seeing it through. 

I’d say that makes for a happy Chappy.  Well done.

Yours in all things footy,

Sasha Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment